Pre-Summit Workshop for Deans and Department Heads
Every year, jointly with the ECSS main Summit, Informatics Europe organises a special Workshop for Deans and Heads of Informatics Departments to address specific challenges they encounter in their role. The workshop is a unique networking forum for leaders of Informatics institutions, and focuses on concrete issues and practical solutions. The 2017 workshop will be held on October 23, co-chaired by Prof. Mehdi Jazayeri, Faculty of Informatics, University of Lugano and Prof. Hannes Werthner, Faculty of Informatics, Vienna University of Technology on the theme:
Teaching Informatics for All!
With the expansion of Informatics and its growing pervasiveness in other disciplines and society in general, Informatics Deans and Department Chairs face ever-increasing challenges. The workshop is a unique networking forum for leaders in Informatics research and education, both experienced and new, to exchange best practices, new approaches and practical strategies around common challenges they face. It provides a platform for strengthening your leadership and management competencies and for building relationships among department heads at European Informatics research and academic institutions.
The focus for this year’s workshop will be on how to introduce Informatics across all university departments. As Informatics has become pervasive, there is growing recognition that its knowledge is important for any educated person. This is manifested by national efforts to introduce Informatics earlier and earlier in schools, even at the elementary school level.
- How does this issue affect university education?
- What kind of introductory Informatics courses are appropriate for different disciplines at the university level?
- Should Informatics departments teach these courses?
- What should the contents of these courses be?
- What are the essential ideas of Informatics that any educated person should know?
- What are ideal solutions and what are the barriers to implementing them?
The workshop will be a mixture of discussions/knowledge sharing/exchange of practical guidelines in smaller groups. Please bring the issues you are facing and approaches you have found to work.
Benefits for participants:
- Learning best practices from heads of prominent Informatics departments and research labs;
- Taking advantage of a networking platform for heads of European Informatics departments and research labs;
- Inspiration for improving department processes.
- Luís Caires, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa
- Shriram Krishnamurthi, Brown University
- Jim Larus, EPFL
- Markus Püschel, ETH
The workshop will be held at the Rectorate Building of the NOVA University of Lisbon, Campolide Campus
Monday 23 October 2017, Pre-Summit Workshop for Deans and Department Heads
9.00 - 09.45 Registration
09.45 - 10.00 Workshop Opening by Mehdi Jazayeri- University of Lugano and Hannes Werthner - Vienna University of Technology
10.00 - 11.00 Shriram Krishnamurthi (Brown University)
"The US Introductory Course Landscape: Patterns, Problems, and Prospects"
11.00 - 11.30 Coffee break
11.30 - 12.30 Jim Larus (EPFL)
"Computational Thinking is for Everyone"
12.30 - 13.30 Lunch break
13.30 - 14.30 Luis Caires (Universidade NOVA de Lisboa)
"Broadening Informatics Education and Outreach from a CS Department Perspective"
14.30 - 15.30 Markus Püschel (ETH)
"What Makes a Strong Department? Experiences from ETH and Carnegie Mellon"
15.30 - 16.00 Coffee break
16.00 - 17.00 Discussion and closing of the Workshop
19.00 ECSS 2017 Welcome Reception!